Monday, November 24, 2008

SAD SAD SAD (55 Days to I-Day, 1515 to GOD)

According to AFP the average US elected official scored only 44% on a basic test on civics, economics, and American history...the average American scored a 49%. The test was composed by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute.

How would you do? Click here to take the test before you read the article...

BTW, I missed one question and scored a 97%. Of course, I am a former civics teacher and currently employed as an economic analyst. The one question I missed, I think, was poorly worded...but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Let me know how you do...

US officials flunk test of American history, economics, civics

Thu Nov 20, 2:24 pm ET


WASHINGTON (AFP) – US elected officials scored abysmally on a test measuring their civic knowledge, with an average grade of just 44 percent, the group that organized the exam said Thursday.


Ordinary citizens did not fare much better, scoring just 49 percent correct on the 33 exam questions compiled by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI).


"It is disturbing enough that the general public failed ISI's civic literacy test, but when you consider the even more dismal scores of elected officials, you have to be concerned," said Josiah Bunting, chairman of the National Civic Literacy Board at ISI.


Indeed...so much for the vaunted "intellectual class" who are indoctrinated instead of educated...

"How can political leaders make informed decisions if they don't understand the American experience?" he added.


The short answer? They cannot...no wonder we are in the mess we are in...

The exam questions covered American history, the workings of the US government and economics.


Click here for the full article...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Wow! You've made the big time! so many people are reading your blog that you are getting spammed...

Missed you on Sunday, have a great Turkey day, as you know I have too many blessings to count so I'll be busy that day.

Later,

Jodi said...

25 out of 33 for me. I was a little disappointed in my score, but I did better than most it looks like! BTW- thanks for coming this weekend! I have some video from Rissa posted to my blog!

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I missed 5. 84.85%. I will admit on one of them I knew my choice was wrong (I chose decrease taxes AND spending).

Anonymous said...

hi jim i got 24 right not great but better than some happy turkey day mom

Anonymous said...

There is no excuse why every 9th grader in the country cannot pass this test in a country that spends over half a trillion dollars per year on K-12 public education.

It defies credulity that there are more safeguards in place to assure proper testing of those who operate motor vehicles than those who vote. It is no wonder that the populace is being played like a Stradivarius.

"In a republican nation whose citizens are to be led by reason and persuasion and not by force, the art of reasoning becomes of first importance." -Thomas Jefferson

32 of 33,
Thomas Aquinas

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of this holiday weekend and this thread, enjoy...

http://www.worshiphousemedia.com/index.cfm?hndl=details&tab=MM&id=8261

God Bless America