Saturday, September 27, 2008

38 Days to Election Day--The First Debate

Who won the debate? I assume everyone and anyone is trying to answer this question...

I think McCain won the debate...barely.

The One's most repeated phrase? "John (or Senator McCain) is right..." said about a dozen times. OOPS! My suggestion to The One...saying this (although correct) is counter to your interests!

Senator McCain's most repeated phrase? "Senator Obama does not understand..." said several times and a much better strategy (I think all would agree, wouldn't we?).

But "who won the debate" misses the point, which is...were the objectives of each campaign met and to what extent?

In this...I believe The One surpassed expectations (which for me, of course, were low).

Objectives:
To show mastery of foreign policy: McCain 95% (as expected), The One 65% (higher than expected)
To show understanding of the financial crisis and policy solutions for it: McCain 75% (expected), The One 75% (higher)
To seem presidential in handling questions and communication: McCain 90% (expected), The One 85% (much higher than expected)
Explaining policy differences from opponent: McCain 95% (higher), The One 70% (lower than expected)
Putting opponent "off his game": McCain 35% (much lower than expected), The One 35% (much lower than expected)

The One did well and held his ground...much higher than my expectations from such a neophyte! Now we wait to see the changes in the polls...

By the way, current Gallup daily tracking poll...46 to 46 tied again! The Electoral standing...The One has made some gains in VA, MO, and PA and McCain has made gains in MI and CO. Current score The One 273, McCain 265.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
I just wanted you to know that I published a comment on John's site and I will copy it here as well. Just remember brothers are forever. It is something I have tried to instill in my boys and I am sure you do the same for yours :)
PS I think Barack won the debate, but barely as well. I paid a lot of attention to body language and McCain did not fair as well in this department (I think). Also, the moderator, Jim Leherer (spelling sorry) was absolutely dreadful. He didn't hold either one of their feet to the fire. I realize that the topic was supossed to be foreign policy but I think both missed crucial oppurtunities to talk about the economic issues. That is just my take. So here's my comment from John's blog: Boys, boys, boys, take a breath. In the end whoever becomes president will be there for four possibly eight years and you will be brothers for life. This to shall pass albeit with very rocky roads ahead no matter which side of the divide you are on. I will say it again, for the most part I believe Americans are slightly to the right and/or left of middle ground. I believe for the most part that both everyday democrats and republicans and independents have the same concerns, safety, security (both financially and militarily), education, taxes, health care, gas prices. We may not agree how to fix these things, but we can agree that there are issues that need addressed in all these areas. The problem stems from the people in power (either democrat or republican) appealing to their extreme sides and claiming that they speak for everyone in their respective parties. Sensationalism is what wins, unfortunately we really don't need more drama in our lives. I can tell you my cup is overflowing right now! I love you both very much and I know you know it :).
Love,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy, I see Barack winning the debate not by much but still. His logic makes more sense to me, his view of bringing our money home to fix the US and bringing our troops home. I also agree that Pakistan and Afganastan have been forgotten tour detriment. I could say a lot more but you and I will not agree but I love you anyway and accept that you and I will not agree. Love Mom