Monday, October 15, 2007

Indians in Six

First, some housecleaning:
It seems that my posts are averaging twice a week instead of my hoped-for three times a week. I will endeavor to stick to the Monday-Wednesday schedule and add Fridays when possible.

What a wonderful two game series so far. The Cleveland Indians and the Boston Red Sox share the distinction of having the "Best Record in Baseball", finishing the season at 96 wins and 66 losses (.593). Cleveland and Boston split the first two games of the ALCS, just as I thought they would. I believe that Cleveland will take two of the next three games at home (I would love three, but I am a realist) and return to Boston up 3-2. I think we win game 6 and go on to take on the Rockies.

It is high time for the Indians to win the World Series...Our last shot in 1997 against the Marlins was lost by about 1 inch in Game 7 when Marilin shortstop Edgar Renteria hit a bouncer over the pitcher's head. The ball skipped off Charlie Nagy's glove, up the middle and into center field for a hit. One inch lower, Nagy fields it and gets the out at first (or at home), third out, Indians and Marlins go into the 12th inning (of course, no guarantee we win, but...).

In 1997, I was blessed to be able to attend not only the All-Star game (where Sandy Alomar scored the game-winning home run--wow! what a rush!!!), but I also got tickets to the World Series (Game 5, where I got to witness Sandy hitting a three-run home run in the 3rd but just missed another homer in the 9th when he hit to deep right...this would have won the game driving in the go-ahead run.

This is the fourth ALCS the Indians have been in since 1969 when the LCS began (1995, 1997, 1998, and 2007)--winning twice. The Indians have been in five World Series (winning in 1920 and 1948 and losing in 1954, 1995 and 1997). It has been ten years since the Marlin's debacle. It has been 59 years since we have won the Fall Classic, only the Cubbies have waited longer (1908). It is our turn!!

No comments: