Thursday, October 11, 2007

On Hate Crimes Legislation and the Matthew Shepard Act

Casper, WY - September 27, 2007 - The Matthew Shepard Foundation applauds today’s passage of the historic Matthew Shepard Act -- inclusive federal hate crimes legislation.

“Today’s Senate vote sends a bold and unmistakable message that violent crimes committed in the name of hate must end,” said Judy and Dennis Shepard, Matthew Shepard’s parents. “The Matthew Shepard Act is an essential step to erasing hate in America and we are humbled that it bears our son’s name. It has been almost nine years since Matthew was taken from us. This bill is a fitting tribute to his memory and to all of those who have lost their lives to hate.”

You have got to be kidding me!

There was nothing bold about the message that the Senate sent on 9/27, but the message was indeed unmistakable...The message was "this legislation cannot stand on its own so we will add it to the Department of Defense Authorization Bill." ???Huh??? What does this piece of legislation have to do with defense authorization?? Of course, the Dems that support this attached this as an amendment in the hopes that the President would not veto a defense authorization bill. Really? I think he will when such unrelated pap is added to legislation. This is why I think there needs to be HUGE reform in Congress as to how legislation is passed. It is also why I support (and always have) a Presidential Line Item Veto (which I believe is inherent--another subject for another time).

As for the MSA--it is not "an essential step to erasing hate in America". No piece of legislation will ever be able to do that. All it does (and any other hate-crimes legislation as well) is gives special consideration to a population. THIS SHOULD NOT BE TOLERABLE IN A SOCIETY WHICH PURPORTS TO SUPPORT EQUALITY UNDER THE LAW!! How is it equitable that if I were to assult and kill a gay man and have "hate" (a very interesting, subjective concept--how is it proven legally?) toward homosexuals that my crime is worth more punishment than if I assulted and killed a straight man? Is the straight man's life worth less than the gay man's? No? Isn't that what the difference in sentencing is implying? Why use a different criteria for one group and not another? This is discriminatory on its surface.

What will qualify as hate? Would my strident stand for protecting the traditional definition of marriage be used as 'evidence' of hate? Would my religious views which classify homosexual acts as sinful be used as 'evidence' of hate? It seems very arbitrary to me.

I hope that this Senate amendment falls off during the conference. If not, I will fully support a Presidential veto of the measure. Enough playing around...if you want this legislation, introduce it on its own merits and pass it as free-standing legislation. You will at least get my admiration for standing up for your beliefs instead of hiding and sneaking around.

3 comments:

jpb2525 said...

Jimmy - You will never get it. Love you anyway.

Jim-the Classical Liberal (Views from the Right) said...

Nonners,
No comment on the merits of my arguments? What do I not 'get?' I do not believe you 'get' what I wrote...but, alas, you did not explain yourself...

Love you too...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.